talking in english with torontians and employers

You want to speak English with us? Here we go!

talking in english with torontians and employers

Messagepar kabi » Ven, 13 Juin 2008 23:03

Hi everybody,

That's thoughtful of you to think to such things:  board in english.
I like the idea, I really appreciate it.

So in order to be constructive, tell me, for you people who are living there in Toronto how do you find talking in english with torontians?

And is it true that employers are looking for a functionnal english or they really want to hear a perfect and clear english?

I hope to see a lots of contributions,.

Thanks a lot.

kabi
kabi
Habitué
Habitué

Re : talking in english with torontians and employers

Messagepar Playmobil31 » Sam, 14 Juin 2008 09:21

Hi,

Happy to see this board is functionning ;)

For my point of view, speaking english with Torontonians is very easy. I'm not mother tongue in english but there are very easy to understand, and as there are so many differents immigrate in Toronto, people are very helpful to understand.
For the employers, it's the same (except for special job positions), all they need are functional english, not the "perfect and clear british english". In my company, there are Chinese, Arabics, Indians, Europeans (from all countries), so everyone came with his own english speaking, his own accent, and everybody seems happy with that ;)

I hope this was helpfull ;)
Playmobil31
Torontois d'honneur
Torontois d'honneur

Messagepar mags » Sam, 14 Juin 2008 11:06

Kabi, don't worry about your accent, as long as you understand and make yourself understand, you are good to go.
The barrier to take into account is the famous 'Canadian experience'. Employers will often come up with this excuse...
So if you have never worked in Canada before I would recommend that you work in retail or at a Tim Hortons while you try to find your dream job. That way you'll prove you can work in a Canadian work environment. It's just a way to reassure them I think.
Linda De Souza
mags
Torontois d'honneur
Torontois d'honneur

Messagepar kabi » Mar, 24 Juin 2008 23:11

Thank you for your answer playmobil31 and thank you mags for your advice.

So as I can see according to you playmobil, as long as there are people for all over the world, employers are comprehensevie about this multi-culturel matters. So this is a good point to swim with the flow.

Mags: I have already canadian experience: 1year and half in montreal and now 8 months in Ottawa... I can say my english is perfect , I just wuld like it be enough for my future boss in Toronto..

I will continue to do my best of course .

Hope to hear from you  again.

thanks friends.
kabi
Habitué
Habitué

Re: talking in english with torontians and employers

Messagepar peaceful » Jeu, 18 Mar 2010 13:41

Hi everyone!

A friend of mine is looking for bilingual work through an agency. There was a contract position for 6 months in the government and I was very much surprised to hear what the representative of the agency said. She said for this position (customer service), they are looking for someone who does not have a french accent while speaking english. My friend does not have a strong French accent frankly speaking, just a hint when she speaks certain words…I felt this was very discriminatory and was just wondering what your thoughts are…..
peaceful
Touriste
Touriste

Re: talking in english with torontians and employers

Messagepar Toronto31 » Jeu, 18 Mar 2010 23:57

Hi peaceful,

The representative of the agency must shown to your friend and in writing any exclusion for this job (i.e. no accent while speaking English). I consider the situation as an act of discrimination however the Ontario Human Rights act is vague about that. She may test the grammar and/or the vocabulary of the candidate however she cannot comments face to face about the accent unless she has some strong arguments (which is very surprising from the government).

I worked in recruitment for a year and we were not authorized to mention anything related to the accent (or age, race, religion, etc) of the candidate in our evaluation.

Here is the link of the Ontario Human Rights Commission: http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/issues/racism

I will ask to your friend to check directly with the government office (if she knows) who is looking for the candidates.
Toronto31
Torontois d'honneur
Torontois d'honneur

Retour vers English Speaking Board