What does it mean to have a functionnal english?

You want to speak English with us? Here we go!

What does it mean to have a functionnal english?

Messagepar kabi » Mer, 20 Aoû 2008 21:39

all in the title.

So let's share .
kabi
Habitué
Habitué

Re : What does it mean to have a functionnal english?

Messagepar Playmobil31 » Mer, 20 Aoû 2008 21:58

I think it's just meaning that you can understand, think and answer in english. The most important will be that the other people(s) will understand you and your idea.
It's the way I think about, not be a perfect english speaker, but being understandable ;)
Playmobil31
Torontois d'honneur
Torontois d'honneur

Messagepar Chantal » Mer, 20 Aoû 2008 22:23

Almost nobody speaks actual English. In this country, you'll find many different people from all over the place who are not native English speakers. English is often a second language. So as long as you know some basics, you can always survive! Sometime, if you don't understand someone, it may be because of his/her English! People around you may just need some time get used to the French accent! It's the same for you, you may need some time for the chinese, slovak or whatever accent!
- Maman explore le côté obscure -
Chantal
Torontois d'honneur
Torontois d'honneur

Messagepar kabi » Jeu, 21 Aoû 2008 17:43

Someone told me one day that in order to know that you have a level of a good functionnal english you have to do that:

Imagine you are working in a customer servic of a compagny and you are in front of a customer and he is so angry about something, so he is talking to you with nerves: if you can manage yourself by answering him correctly in english (remember he is sooo angry ;) ) and he could be satisfied at the end, ... so that mean your english is functionnal :D

What people think about that?
kabi
Habitué
Habitué

Messagepar Nico » Jeu, 21 Aoû 2008 18:25

Same as ordering a flight ticket over the phone. I guess "functional" English means that you should be able to communicate with colleagues at work, to be autonomous etc...
Nico
Torontois d'honneur
Torontois d'honneur

Messagepar massi » Ven, 22 Aoû 2008 09:28

Right.... I think it is more work-related. Functional english means you have the requirements in order to communicate accurately a simple idea to someone else in any situation (as kabi said).
On the other hand proficiency requires you to communicate any complex ideas accurately.
Tout a une fin... sauf les saucisses, qui en ont deux!
massi
Torontois d'honneur
Torontois d'honneur

Messagepar Chantal » Ven, 22 Aoû 2008 09:29

Dealing with an angry person not only has something to do with your skills in English.  ;)
You need to be able to communicate in English in most of the current situations. However, most people are very polite and they rarely tell you that they did not understand what you've just said!  :D
- Maman explore le côté obscure -
Chantal
Torontois d'honneur
Torontois d'honneur

Messagepar sophiane2000 » Mer, 29 Oct 2008 13:54

One question ?
Is it very important if I talk in english with lot of gramatical mistakes ?
sophiane2000
Touriste
Touriste

Messagepar Fredrik » Mer, 29 Oct 2008 15:37

For oral, people tend to be a bit more comprehnsive.
However, your grammar needs to be good in written english.
Especially for work purpose.
Ça cogne cousin!
Fredrik
Access Board
Access Board

Messagepar Alexandre » Mer, 29 Oct 2008 16:15

I must say that after a while, if you want to get more than entry level jobs (supervisor, manager, etc), your English will have to be perfect as you will be giving orders to personnel and you need to be understood when you request something from somebody.
Je m'excuse, mais merde !
Alexandre
Administrateur
Administrateur

Messagepar massi » Mer, 29 Oct 2008 16:33

It depends right...

Generally speaking in Toronto there are so many people from different countries that just arrived that the typical Torontonian would be more tolerant, I would say than someone from Alberta regarding English accuracy.
Tout a une fin... sauf les saucisses, qui en ont deux!
massi
Torontois d'honneur
Torontois d'honneur

Messagepar Alexandre » Mer, 29 Oct 2008 17:04

I agree,

the only thing is what does "lot of gramatical mistakes" means. If you have a mistake every two words, this is not going to fly.
People will get tired to have to analyse everything you say to figure out what you are trying to tall them. They will do it, but after a while, it will get annoying.

If it is a few mistakes here and there, then no problem. Even English people make mistakes too.

This is only my opinion. Reality might be a little different.
Je m'excuse, mais merde !
Alexandre
Administrateur
Administrateur

Re: Re : What does it mean to have a functionnal english?

Messagepar L'ottawan » Sam, 09 Avr 2016 13:19

massi a écrit:It depends right...

Generally speaking in Toronto there are so many people from different countries that just arrived that the typical Torontonian would be more tolerant, I would say than someone from Alberta regarding English accuracy.

This is one of the reasons my wife and I will move to Toronto. She is trilingual in Mandarin, Cantonese, and Japanese. I know French, English, Mandarin, and Esperanto.

We were initially planning on settling in Hong Kong or Shenzhen, but then she got an offer from Toronto in import and export.

The two primary reasons for Toronto is that her earnings-to-cost-of-living ratio will be somewhat better there than in Hong Kong or Shenzhen.

Honestly, we were both floored that she had got an offer in Toronto given that she knows neither English nor French. She'd never even applied for the job. A friend had recommended her due to her knowledge, experience, and business network. The employer sought her! In hindsight though, Scarborough's Chinese community has become somewhat economically independent due to the sheer size of the Chinese-speaking community. I was surprised while visiting that the local Chinese didn't even bat an eye to see me, a white man, address them in Chinese. I'd asked about it and apparently that's common enough there!
L'ottawan
Touriste
Touriste

Retour vers English Speaking Board